1.11.2011

Living the Dream

I cannot remember when it started, but all I know is that if I had a lot of money, my greatest dream (aside from being a successful housewife) is to have my own restaurant. I even have the concept for it, I just don't have the skills, expertise, and of course the resources to set it up.

That is why for now, my restaurant is our kitchen, and my customers are my mother, husband, and daughter. Last Christmas eve, I started honing my culinary skills by trying to bake a chocolate cake and cooking Kare-Kare for the first time. Everything went well, I guess.

Earlier, I tried to cook another dish. And before I forget, I am going to put the recipe on record because my mom and husband, and even my 5-year old daughter loved it. Some may call it pacham (pachambahan), but this is my own version of the infamous potato soup:

=======================================================
Chelle's Home-Made Bacon, Mushroom and Potato Soup

4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onion, sliced
4 pcs medium-sized potato, cut into cubes
250g bacon, sliced or cut into small pieces
1 big can mushroom (slices or pieces and stems)
1 small can of milk
1/4 cheese
2 cups water
2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
1. Saute the bacon until it becomes golden brown. Set aside and leave the oil on the pan.
2. Using the oil from the bacon, saute the garlic and the onion. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the mushroom and bacon and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the milk, cheese and water. Bring to a boil.
5. Add the cornstarch mixture.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.


=======================================================

I know I do not have any formal culinary training or experience, and if I am fortunate to be able to live my dream of becoming a restaurant owner in the future, I'll definitely include this (or an improved version) on my menu. I know that it will take at least a few years before I become capable of starting my dream restaurant. So for now, I'll just live my dream by preparing sumptuous meals for my loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment